Introduction

Late February of 2012 Mark was diagnosed with stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma Cancer. This is written for our family and friends who have so caringly expressed a desire to know of the current situation. We so appreciate the love and support that has been shown to us and we lovingly empathize with and pray for many of you that have had or are currently going through trials of your own. In love, hope and faith, Mark and Ane

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Healing is Possible - by Mark

Today in West Linn Ward's Sacrament meeting we sang hymn #85 “How Firm a Foundation”, one of Ane and my favorites.  It definitely helped me through the Prequest days and alleviated my fears.  The third verse is our favorite (see words below); Ane and I were exchanging tearful looks at each other during this verse.  What struck me the most were the words “He will cause thee to stand”.  This felt like it applied to me at this time.  The implication being that I would live.  

This is critical for up until this time I have not felt like Father has given me an assurance of things hoped for or an evidence of things not seen, Heb 11:1.  So it was hard to pray in faith, as I did not know that it was His will.  I now feel as though it is His will that I live.  I can pray and act in faith.  Previously I prayed to petition the Lord and ask with always the clause, if it be Thy will.  Now I feel as though it is His will that I live.  For how long I don’t know, but it feels like this cancer will not be the cause of an early death.  

I also feel as though this happened for some very good reasons and that I need to retire anyway and great relationships have been rekindled and reinforced.  Not to mention a very real experience with the fragileness of life as well as another test of our faith.  As always Father knows best!

3rd Verse of "How Firm a Foundation"

"Fear not, I am will thee; oh, be not dismayed,  
I am thy God and will still give thee aid. 
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."

1 comment:

  1. Mark - it's Rodger Pickett. This issue of balancing what we want while hoping to want what God wants has challenged me as well. However, with the help of Elder Maxwell, I've come to this conclusion (while always willing to change my mind if necessary). We need to want what we want and want it really badly because only then are we in a position to genuinely put it "on the alter" if called upon to do so. So we want what we want intensely and temper that only with the willingness to submit to God's will if asked. Just thought I'd share that opinion and thank you and Ane for sharing the blog. In 1989 I was in a near fatal car crash and Jeanne convinced me to keep a journal. It is now a treasure, just as your blog will be for you and Ane. God bless. Rodger

    ReplyDelete