Introduction

Late February of 2012 Mark was diagnosed with stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma Cancer. This is written for our family and friends who have so caringly expressed a desire to know of the current situation. We so appreciate the love and support that has been shown to us and we lovingly empathize with and pray for many of you that have had or are currently going through trials of your own. In love, hope and faith, Mark and Ane

Friday, September 10, 2021

Another Stent Replacement

 We arrived at Providence Portland Main Medical Center at 9:15 am. The receptionist expected that I should pick him up around 1:30 pm. They were about an hour late getting started. In the past, his bile duct procedures were longer than normal so I wasn’t surprised when I learned that he didn’t get to recovery until 2:30 pm. When the nurse called and told me that he had to meet certain requirements to be released, one of which was to have no nausea, I though, “You may have him there for a week!” It’s getting close to 5 pm, and I just got a call that he’s still nauseous so the nurse will give him more anti-nausea medicine. An email notified me that there was a new report in his My Chart. It indicates that 2 stents were placed. YEA! Both times before, Dr. Razzak has wanted to place two, but hasn’t been able to do so. This should help the bile to drain more quickly, and bring his bilirubin count down, so he can start the ALPN-202 infusions.

Wednesday afternoon, we met with the pain management doctor. She reviewed what he has been taking for pain, and it has definitely been too much. She adjusted the dosage of some, took some away, and introduced others. One of the new medications will hopefully help with nerve pain. She explained that all of his tumors are pressing on nerves —even those in the liver are pushing on the lining which is where the nerves are. The cluster at the bast of his spine are creating the most pain. The obstructed bile duct has been another source of pain, but we have learned what he can and can’t eat—absolute NO beef and very little fat of any kind, as well as no sugar or processed foods. I’d lose weight, too, if I stuck to such a healthy diet.

Wednesday night, he started exhibiting some signs of confusion, agitation, and imbalance. He was up most of the night. Since I got very little sleep, our kids were quick to set up a schedule to help out. They’ve been wonderful! Yesterday afternoon through this morning one of them has been with us, and will continue tonight. Not only can I get rest and a few things done, they have added some much needed humor! 

Well, it’s now 5:30 pm, and I’m still waiting. I could have gone home, but last time I dropped him off, his liver biopsy was cancelled, so I was glad I had been close by.  I’ll post this now, and update it later with more info.

The current plan is for him to leave around 7 pm.  Sounds like he’s still very sleepy, a bit wobbly, and has some confusion, but is improving. (If I don’t post now, it may not happen.) 





3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sweet Ane!
    Appreciate the update!!
    Continued Love & prayers 🙏🏻💞🙌🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel and I send our love and we just said a prayer.💖🙏🏽

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and I’m praying for answers and relief as well as strength for the whole family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete