Introduction

Late February of 2012 Mark was diagnosed with stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma Cancer. This is written for our family and friends who have so caringly expressed a desire to know of the current situation. We so appreciate the love and support that has been shown to us and we lovingly empathize with and pray for many of you that have had or are currently going through trials of your own. In love, hope and faith, Mark and Ane

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Defying Odds? - by Mark

I’m still here and feeling great!!  We just got back from our Precoa cruise on the Allure of the Seas; what an amazing ship and what wonderful people.  Between family, friends, work and church I have never been told so many times how great it is to see me and how wonderful I look.  It is awesome – everyone should get such treatment, it does wonders for the soul!  I guess it is compared to death or the very ancient, pale, frail, gaunt look I had 6 months ago.  In any case, I feel much loved and am so grateful to be here feeling so good!

Ane and I met with Dr. Urba yesterday – what a wonderful man.  We discussed options and determined to do nothing until late June/early July.  At that time I will get another chest x-ray.  If there is nothing, I suspect we will just keep monitoring.  If there is something growing I will likely go back on Zelboraf. Recent studies in mice show that starting and stopping this medication does prolong the life of the four legged little creatures so it is assumed it will work the same in humans.  Dr. Urba is not encouraging Yervoy at this point because I am doing so well and my quality of life will not be the same on this treatment.  He even indicated that I could be the one that each oncologist seems to have that defy all the odds and are healed, when according to medicine they shouldn’t be.  We would be OK with that! 

I have had some heart palpitations over the past couple of months so Dr. Zemsky, the heart electrician, had me wear a heart monitor for a couple of days.  He just emailed and said: “Your Holter monitor showed some short episodes of arrhythmia, lasting seconds.  These are not concerning, and are likely what you're experiencing during palpitations.”  So… we don’t need to sweat it.  Just keep enjoying life.

With so many faith filled prayers heading our way – I just may be the one to defy the odds.  Thank you so much for your faith, prayers and healing thoughts!!  I feel great!

2 comments:

  1. Such wonderful news. You and Ane continue to be know on those little slips of paper in the NB temple. Prayers for you and your family as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day's a blessing! I'm so glad you're feeling better. In my prayers!

    ReplyDelete